A blog about our love of Hiking. Gear we like, tips and tricks we've learnt and walks we love

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Damn Rats!!!

In October 2010 my wife and I hiked our first multi-day hike and we absolutely loved it. We spent 4 glorious days hiking the Conondale Range Great Walk in the Conondale range about 2 hours north of Brisbane.
The weather was magnificent and we got in just before the record rainfalls that hit QLD in November and December 2010.
However, it threatened to rain all three nights we were there. We don’t have a tent that is big enough to hold us and our two hiking packs so I came up with the ‘brilliant’ idea of placing everything in our packs and covering them with the inbuilt rain covers.
We awoke the next morning and as I was basking in the glow of my rain cover brainwave I noticed a little hole in the cover. What was the hell was this???
On closer inspection I discovered rats had eaten through my rain cover and then through my pack to get to the empty scroggin bag I had in the side zipper pocket. Damn rats!!
Needless to say the next night we hung all of our food up and out of the way of rubbish eating rodents.

Anyone have any run in with rats? Any clever ideas of how to avoid them eating through packs? (apart from hanging them from a tree)

No comments:

Post a Comment